What are the best ways to get healthy?
Having been in business since 1998, we have noticed a large number of trends that have come and gone in the natural/alternative health circle. We have seen everything from some new exotic fruit that will supposedly cure your woes (Noni, mangosteen, acai,) to electrical devices that can supposedly cure cancer, to diets that run from raw vegan to paleo or high fat to no fat or low carb to no carb. Lots of absurdity peppered with some truth.The most distressing of all is that we constantly see people chasing after and spending good money on what is often nothing more than sexy marketing at the expense of embracing proven/time tested health benefitting concepts and products. Maybe there is something about American culture that results in the masses being distracted by the latest and greatest next miracle fix or maybe it is a universal phenomenon.In 2016 our encouragement to you would be to focus on finding the truth in all areas. There are hard truths in this world that apply, whether we embrace them or not. Here is my best advice I can give to help you start creating a new and healthier you.
We know that populations that have higher exposure to chemicals suffer compared to those in cleaner environments.
1. Clean out your chemical exposure by buying organic produce.
2. Get a good air purifier and put in quality furnace filters.
3. Buy bed linens and at least a mattress cover that isn’t treated with fire retardants. At minimum buy an organic pillow and pillow case.
4. Use truly green cleaning products.
We know that diet really does matter.
1. Focus on nutrient rich food but don’t forget that they still contain calories.
2. Drink clean water, ideally distilled water, as the $8 filter on your fridge isn’t even close to adequate to get the industrial/pharmaceutical/chemical slurry out of your water.
3. Eat more veggies. This might mean that you learn how to cook. Ask a vegetarian for ideas, as they certainly are not eating the volumes of steamed cabbage you may think they are but rather know how to make tasty veggies.
4. Replace your salt and cooking oils with nutrient rich celtic sea salt and high polyphenol extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil.
5. Stop drinking low grade non organic coffee, lower your alcohol consumption or at least choose organic red wine when possible. Maybe even switch over to high quality green teas as we have grown to LOVE them and they really do have hard science supporting their benefits.
6. Color does really matter. When you look at your plate you should see the rainbow. Different colors of food include different phytonutrients. Include a variety.
We know that exercise makes a difference but it can’t make up for poor diet and lifestyle choices.
2. Don’t ruin your joints in your choice.
3. Remember that flexibility, blood flow, muscular strength, and regularity are all important.
4. Keep in mind that exercise increases the circulation of what is in your blood stream whether it is nutrients or toxins.
We know that detoxifying the body is really important. We have found that after all these years in business that maybe 1 out of every 200 of our customers is interested in cleansing the body properly. If you expect to live a long and healthy life don’t neglect this area.
1. Use herbs to get your liver cleaned out and restored.
2. Incorporate intermittent fasting.
3. Get sweaty, saunas are legitimate and powerful ways to detox.
4. Move your lymph whether through rebounding, a chi machine, or regular massage.
We know that the mind and soul need nourishment. I can say that 99% of our customers are pleasant individuals and that folks that tend to focus on a healthy lifestyle are more disposed to pleasantness. Be aware of the fact that stress isn’t bad. In fact it makes us strong. It builds fortitude. But don’t let it destroy you. In fact, find ways to nurture and stretch yourselves. A sermon at church that convicts and speaks to your soul should not be avoided but embraced. When God’s voice albeit difficult to hear at times seems to be calling at you from multiple angles; listen. Avoiding issues or ugly truths will destroy your health and your soul over time.
We know that there is profound power within the time tested tonic herbs and superfoods. Ginseng, reishi, cod liver oil, algae, schizandra and countless others are powerful and restorative compounds. They have to be quality, concentrated, and significant enough in dose to impart benefit to the body but when used correctly are the single most beneficial substances one can utilize. Don’t waste your time and money on some multi-level product marketed by a friend at the expense of using proven tonic/superfoods.
Finally, we know that our choices really do matter. Be empowered by the fact that all of you reading this have access to everything mentioned in this article. You should also be empowered by knowing that there are others out here and science that has validated these choices. Count yourself in the tiny ranks of humanity that have the ability to see the big picture and that you aren’t putting your life into a random mixing bowl of probability but are daily shifting towards either better or worse health in large part through your own choices. Most of all have fun. If you are going to make the shift then own it, get excited about it, don’t look towards others for validation or see yourself as an outcast but be who you want to be and try to help others when they ask or are open to it.Don't feel overwhelmed by the fads. Just start with what we know. Happy and Healthy New Year!